Saturday, January 6, 2018

Angels and Mama's Hot Chocolate



Who doesn't love making snow angels? How can you not smile and giggle a bit when making them :)? My mom is an angel. That's right, she is an angel. I fondly remember her making us a batch of her creamy homemade hot chocolate on a snow day, growing up. 


Today was Koa's first snow day, and although I don't have my mama's recipe, because she never got the chance to write it down for me, I do have a recipe that tastes pretty darn close. And I made it today for my little family, on our snow day, after a sweet day of playing in our winter wonderland. 

Hot Chocolate 




Ingredients:
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (start with 1/4 cup and sweeten to your liking)
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla (the more the better for me!)
  • 1/3 cup cocoa 
  • 3 1/2 cups milk (I use 2% or coconut milk - my mom used whole milk)
  • 1/3 cup boiling water
  • pinch of salt 
  • Whipped cream
Instructions:
Mix cocoa, sugar and salt together with a whisk in a pot. Boil water separately in a small pot. Slowly add boiling water into the cocoa mix pot on the stove and whisk very well. Once fully combined without over cooking, slowly add 3 ½ cups of milk and continue to heat until hot – make sure it doesn’t boil. Add vanilla, stir and serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder for garnish! It makes about 4 cups.

If you like a unique take here are some fun options:
  • Crush up raspberries really good or puree them, and add to water and boil
  • Add a peppermint stick or candy cane, whipped cream and crumble some peppermint on top 
  • Spike it with Baileys, Vanilla vodka, Peppermint schnapps or Creme de Menthe 
  • Garnish with marshmallows or fluff 
  • Add almond or mint extract 

I hope you give this recipe a try and love it as much as we do! It may even become a sweet family favorite you pass down to your little ones.

Love,
Malina xo








No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Possibilities

There is just something about these warm months that get my brain going in the right direction🌞. I get inspired to do wonderful things! Doe...