Monday, January 8, 2018

Homemade Baby Food



I didn't plan on doing a post on baby food, but as I was making Koa's meals for the week I thought it would be fun. We are still going through the annoying process of introducing Koa to foods on a weekly basis. It's time consuming, but necessary if you want to discover what foods may cause allergies. I also try to keep in mind that the fruits and vegetables that are in season now, are always your best bet to use when making baby food.

One appliance that has simply made our life SO much easier when making baby food is the NutriBullet. It purees her foods in no time at all and is an easy clean up as well. They do make a Baby Bullet, but this one works just as well!



We are organic freaks - I'm proud to say that Koa has not had an ounce of food that was not breast milk or organic. I am still actively nursing her and plan to as long as I can. Right now it is her main source of nutrients as the doctor has explained to us. I nurse her before each meal, then about a half hour to an hour later, I feed her solids.



This week for breakfast she is having either eggs, mango, banana's or mango/bananas. For dinners and lunches she is having kale and a mixture of carrots and broccoli. I like to add spices in the food as well - rosemary, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, parsley - you name it! Be creative! Hoping this way maybe she won't be as picky of an eater 😉 - here's hoping!

I steam all her foods for about 10 min before pureeing or mashing them. I let them cool then add to the Nutribullet with a splash of water and whatever herbs I want to add. Then after it's all mixed up, I pour it into these little storage containers. They have ounces listed on the sides of them, which is super helpful. You can freeze them, heat them up and they are stack-able - all scores in my book! I also love to add breast milk into these mixes, after the food is in the containers, as it's a familiar taste to her, and also smoothes out the food a bit.


When reheating her foods, we stay clear of the microwave. I take the containers out of the fridge, drop them in a pot with about an inch of water, heat them up and stir until I think they are warm enough for her.

For those mama's who are just beginning the food process, it can be super overwhelming! I am right there with you. We've all gone through it! Take a deep breath and then buy this book. It helped us out tremendously, I highly recommend it. We still use it each week!

Easy peas-y....pun intended ;)!

Malina
xo

1 comment:

  1. very good blog thanks for sharing your valuable blog keep it up! i have some good tips for your blog.


    Baby Food Preparation and Storage


    ReplyDelete

Sweet Possibilities

There is just something about these warm months that get my brain going in the right direction🌞. I get inspired to do wonderful things! Doe...