Monday, April 30, 2018

6 Ways to Make Your Hair Grow and Stay Healthy

1. Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil On Your Scalp

I discovered this little trick about 7 years ago, and it has transformed my hair. I was struggling with scalp psoriasis and trying to find a natural alternative to ease the pain, when I came across some research that explained in India they used coconut oil for centuries as a mask on the scalp of the hair to help it grow and maintain healthiness. It is insane how well this stuff works ladies!
Here's how to do it:
Once a week, over night, add about 2 tablespoons (depending on hair length) of coconut oil into the microwave for a few seconds, until it liquefies. Start parting in different sections and applying the oil with your fingers onto the scalp, being sure to try to cover all areas (this can get a little messy! I use a paper towel and set the dish of oil on top). Once scalp is done, start moving the oil to the ends. Once hair is completely covered, gather at top of head and spin into a bun. Clip it in place, and lay down a towel on your pillow case (so the oil doesn't stain your pillow). In the morning wash out the oil (you may have to wash it twice in the shower to make sure all the oil is out), add some conditioner and finish as usual. If you keep this up, I promise you, your hair will grow!
Just a side note.... Coconut oil is SO good for your system, especially you ladies who may be prone to UTI's and yeast infections, I ingest a capsule twice a day. See here for what I use. If you can gulp down a tablespoon of coconut oil instead - go for that! I just can't handle it - the oil grosses me out -I am gagging with even the thought of it. I've said it before but I'm a weenie 🙂.

2. Avoid All Forms Of Heat
Over 7 years ago now I stopped blow drying / using irons on my hair, and have noticed a significant increase in the healthiness of my hair! The sun is in this category too, as it can damage hair as well. I'm a HUGE beach fan, so when I spend a day in the sun, I try to add a small amount of coconut oil (naturally SPF 8) to my hands and run it through my hair / ends -  and it helps protect strands from damaging UVA rays.

3. Vitamins: E, Biotin, Omega 3  
I take my prenatal vitamins, coconut oil capsules and Omega 3 vitamins everyday. These three do wonders for the hair so get on the vitamin train to keep those locks shiny and healthy. All three of them help with the healthiness and shine as well as stimulating hair growth! Aim for organic vitamins if you can. I looove Garden of Life vitamins 💜!

4. Maintaining Healthy Ends 
2-3 trims a year is plenty! I tend to get mine snipped at the end of the summer and the end of winter. If I go in and my ends look healthy, I will only get a "dusting" (teeny tiny bit) to keep the hair even and maintains the healthiness for growth. Some stylists say trim hair every 6 weeks... this certainly maintains healthy ends, however it doesn't give your hair a chance to grow! I find the time of year my hair needs a trim the most is at the end of the summer, possibly from all the sun and swim-time.

5. Skip Washes

This one is not always easy for me. I love clean hair and that fresh feeling of walking out of the shower with it, but now that I'm not going into the office, it sure is easier for me to skip days in between washes. Dry shampoo is a great option to help with volume and to cover up the greasiness that might collect over time. I've heard great things about this onethis one and these . If you have blonde hair, powder also works. I have used this calming lavender one before (make sure you buy **TALC FREE**!)...I say blonde hair because powder has a tendency to show up white on the root area, so with darker hair it may appear to have a white tint.

6. Leave In or Serum 

Always use a leave in conditioner like this one that I use, I've also used a great "mending" treatment from Bumble and Bumble in the past that I've loved. Or any leave-in of your choice. On top of that, I add a very very VERY small amount of coconut oil to my ends to keep them hydrated. I typically apply that when my hair is still a bit damp.

Hope you learned a little something interesting here that will help you grow your gorgeous locks out!

xoxo,
Malina






1 comment:

Sweet Possibilities

There is just something about these warm months that get my brain going in the right direction🌞. I get inspired to do wonderful things! Doe...