Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Wonders of Magnesium

We all have heard about the consequences of stress: heart disease, stroke, anxiety, aging to name a few. There is one we don't hear much about - a magnesium deficiency. I had no idea what this meant until my brother explained it to me.

For two weeks straight I was dealing with an eye twitch, it was driving me crazy. I tried all sorts of things to get rid of it (Gatorade for the electrolytes, sleep, vitamins etc.) nothing was working. My brother sent me the recipe for making my own magnesium oil. I ordered the salt flakes, made it, applied it near my eyebrow and over night my annoying twitch was gone. It works y'all!

What are some symptoms of a magnesium deficiency?
Anxiety
Muscle Spasms and Muscle Cramps
Confusion
Poor Memory / Foggy Brain
Weakness
Poor Heart Health
Tremors
Calcium Deficiency
Dizziness
Potassium Deficiency
Irritability
Difficulty Swallowing
Irregular Heartbeat
Inability to Sleep
Headaches
Thyroid Problems


Magnesium is not well absorbed in supplement form, it is best absorbed when applied directly to skin (which will be absorbed directly into the bloodstream). You can either purchase magnesium as an oil, or make your own (which is very simple). Another great way to absorb magnesium is through Epsom salt soaks (I typically will add some essential oils to my foot bath and sit back and enjoy...with a glass of wine of course 😉!).




Epsom Salt By Sky Organics (5 LBS)- 100% Pure Magnesium Sulfate-Natural, USP Grade, Kosher, Non-GMO – Laxative, Muscle Tension Relief , Foot soak, Soothe Aches, Cleanses Skin. Made in USA  Organic Lavender Essential Oil 4 oz, USDA Certified Organic by Mary Tylor Naturals Premium Therapeutic Grade, 100% Pure, Perfect for Aromatherapy, Relaxation, DIY, Improved Mood

Benefits of taking magnesium

Will stop muscle cramping, spasms - this also includes period cramps
Improves your sleep - it's a super calming mineral
It's great for relieving PMS symptoms (cramping, bloating, mood swings, breast soreness)
Great for helping headaches and migraines
Helps to balance hormones
Overall relieves stress and very helpful with depression and anxiety

Recipe For Making Magnesium Oil 

This research and recipe is from Empowered Sustenance

1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 cup magnesium chloride flakes (Ancient Minerals is a great option)
Spray bottle - you'll want to use a glass bottle (Empowered Sustenance blog recommended this one

Boil water, turn off the stove and stir in magnesium flakes until fully dissolved. Once mixture is cool poor it into your spray bottle. (no need to refrigerate).

Premium Life Blue Glass Bottle with Spray 4 oz Unit

How To Use
Spray onto your body and rub it in. It can get very messy so I spray mine over a towel and I only use it on my feet and arms because it does slightly tingle once its on. That means it's doing it's job 🙂. It also can leave white residue on surfaces, so another good reason to use a town on the floor. Empowered Sustenance blog recommends 10-30 sprays per day.

Hope you give it shot!

xo,
Malina

1 comment:

  1. Magnesium is thebomb.com! I take a magnesium supplement every day and it's done wonders reducing the number of headaches I get and helping me sleep. I'll try the recipe and see if it works any better!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Possibilities

There is just something about these warm months that get my brain going in the right direction🌞. I get inspired to do wonderful things! Doe...